Tobacco Prevention Resources
There have been many changes in tobacco prevention, including the state of Wisconsin going smoke free. This webpage is provided as a resource to school districts or anyone working with youth in tobacco prevention.
Other Tobacco Product (OTP) Resources for Educating Youth
- OTP Messaging with Youth Recommendations
- Building Skills for Health Literacy on Tobacco Units of Instruction
- Analyzing Influences on Tobacco sample lesson webinar
This webinar is a sample lesson based on "The Building Skills for Health Literacy: Tobacco" document and training provided by DPI. This lesson can be used with youth as an example of how to start the discussion around analyzing influences.
- Advocacy on Tobacco sample lesson webinar
This webinar is a sample lesson based on "The Building Skills for Health Literacy: Tobacco" document and training. This lesson can be used with youth as an example of advocacy skills and using FACT – Fight Against Corporate Tobacco.
Tobacco Assessment Tool and Resources
- Tobacco Prevention Program Assessment Tool Introduction
- Tobacco Prevention Program Assessment Tool
- School Resources
- MJC Fact Sheet for Schools
- Resources for School Tobacco Programs: A Selected List (2007 Edition). A resource designed to help Wisconsin school-communities select materials that will assist them in implementing effective programs and policies to help reduce tobacco use among youth.
- Using Student Survey Data to Engage Student Learning
- School Tobacco Policy Resources: This takes you to a separate page where you can access resources to assist and support local tobacco-free school policy.
- Health Literacy Assessment - Tobacco Module (see SSPW Resources webpage)
- Wisconsin State Statutes: prohibits the use of all types of tobacco on school grounds
- Tobacco Prevention Links
- Tobacco Control Resource Center for WI - A list of Wisconsin tobacco prevention contacts and resources.
- American Lung Association's Power Point on Secondhand Smoke
- Are You Helping the Tobacco Industry? - The Wisconsin Tobacco Prevention and Control Program is alerting all school districts that "Right Decisions Right Now" (RDRN) curriculum is actually an RJ Reynolds Program (a tobacco company). Below are supporting documents from the Tobacco Free Kids Website and ideas on where to get legitimate and helpful tobacco prevention materials. Also see other links/attachments on this webpage.
- FDA Legislation on Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act became effective on June 22nd, 2010. For more information go to www.cdc.gov/features/tobaccocontrols/.
- Wisconsin Goes Smokefree
The state of Wisconsin is smoke free as of July 5th, 2010. For more information go to www.smokefreewi.org and www.wibettersmokefree.com.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Tobacco Website
- Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention - Quitline
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Tobacco Prevention and Control Program
- Tobacco Use School Health Guidelines
For questions about this information, contact Brenda Jennings (608) 266-7051
Team Content Keywords: