There have been many changes in tobacco prevention, including the state of Wisconsin going smoke free. This webpage is provided as a resource to school districts or anyone working with youth in tobacco prevention.
1. OTP 101
Cigarette sales are decreasing, but the tobacco industry has another strategy to line their pockets. They’re using candy-flavored smokeless tobacco products to attract new users. These other tobacco products (OTP) include snus, dissolvables, and other products.
Join us for OTP Webinar Training - for anyone who works with youth and wants to learn more about what’s new in the tobacco industry.
- Do you know what they look like?
- Are you prepared when students come to school with them?
- Do your policies address all tobacco products instead of just smoking?
- What are your tobacco policy enforcement procedures?
This webinar is a sample lesson based on "The Building Skills for Health Literacy: Tobacco" document and training provided by DPI. This lesson can be used with youth as an example of how to start the discussion around analyzing influences.
This webinar is a sample lesson based on "The Building Skills for Health Literacy: Tobacco" document and training. This lesson can be used with youth as an example of advocacy skills and using FACT – Fight Against Corporate Tobacco.
Tobacco Assessment Tool and Resources
- Tobacco Prevention Program Assessment Tool Introduction
- Tobacco Prevention Program Assessment Tool
- School Resources
- Resources for School Tobacco Programs: A Selected List (2007 Edition). A resource designed to help Wisconsin school-communities select materials that will assist them in implementing effective programs and policies to help reduce tobacco use among youth.
- Wisconsin Success Stories - Tobacco Free Youth
- Using Student Survey Data to Engage Student Learning
- School Tobacco Policy Resources: This takes you to a separate page where you can access resources to assist and support local tobacco-free school policy.
- Health Literacy Assessment - Tobacco Module (see SSPW Resources webpage)
- Wisconsin State Statutes: prohibits the use of all types of tobacco on school grounds
- Tobacco Prevention Links
- American Lung Association's Power Point on Secondhand Smoke
- Tobacco Related Web Resources - Web links to a variety of internet sites addressing tobacco issues, many with specific youth topics or materials.
- Are You Helping the Tobacco Industry? - The Wisconsin Tobacco Prevention and Control Program is alerting all school districts that "Right Decisions Right Now" (RDRN) curriculum is actually an RJ Reynolds Program (a tobacco company). Below are supporting documents from the Tobacco Free Kids Website and ideas on where to get legitimate and helpful tobacco prevention materials. Also see other links/attachments on this webpage.
- FDA Legislation on Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act became effective on June 22nd, 2010. For more information go to www.cdc.gov/features/tobaccocontrols/.
- Wisconsin Goes Smokefree
The state of Wisconsin is smoke free as of July 5th, 2010. For more information go to www.smokefreewi.org and www.wibettersmokefree.com.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Tobacco Website
- Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention - Quitline
- Tobacco Control Resource Center for WI
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Tobacco Prevention and Control Program
- Tobacco Use School Health Guidelines