Welcome to the Wisconsin School Health Award
The Wisconsin School Health Award was created as a way to recognize and celebrate schools with policies, programs, and the infrastructure to support and promote healthy eating; physical activity; alcohol-, tobacco-, and drug-free lifestyles; and parental and community involvement. The goal of this award is to motivate and empower Wisconsin schools as they create and maintain healthy school environments.
Healthy schools create an environment where students can become fit, healthy, and ready to learn! These schools help students achieve their full academic potential as well as supporting them in developing lifelong healthy behaviors. A healthy school provides clear and consistent health messages, accurate health information, and ample opportunity to use it. They recognize that what happens in the classroom, gymnasium, cafeteria, at school events, at home, and in the community are interrelated and can reinforce healthy behaviors. Across Wisconsin families, teachers, school administrators, students, and community members are joining forces to promote healthy schools to improve health and academic outcomes.Is your school interested in applying? Here are some questions to ask about your school. Does your school?
- Promote healthy nutritional choices?
- Get students active?
- Have policies in place to address staff and student wellness?
- Have a committee to address wellness efforts in your school?
- Prevent alcohol, tobacco, and drug use?
- Actively involve parents?
- Promote staff wellness?
If you answered YES to these questions your school may be in line for one of the Wisconsin School Health Awards.
The Wisconsin School Health Award requires a school to complete an online application and mailing required appendix items to DPI. Schools are highly encouraged to use the print version of the application (click on the "Print Wisconsin School Health Award Application" link below) to review the award criteria questions as a team before completing the online application.Print Wisconsin School Health Award Application Note: This award application is for review and tracking responses only - do not submit to DPI.
All schools intending to submit a Wisconsin School Health Award application must pre-register here.
Applications are due Friday, March 15, 2013
Past award recipients are eligible to apply again to advance to a new award level* (i.e., bronze to silver, silver to gold, gold to platinum). Schools that have received a Platinum Wisconsin School Health Award in the past will be required to meet additional requirements to maintain that status. These requirements include:
- Show advancement on the Wisconsin School Health Award application (i.e., attain more award criteria) from the school's last award application.
- Document in a success story an accomplishment(s) your school achieved over the last year to improve the school health program in the area(s) of physical activity, nutrition, tobacco or drug prevention, parental and community involvement, staff wellness, or administration (e.g., policy, program management).
Note: The Wisconsin School Health Award is a school-level recognition award and school districts are not eligible to apply. However, a school district or a school that isnt ready to apply for an award can complete the assessment step and get a score without submitting an award application to DPI.